Thursday, September 5, 2013

Brown Rice Pancakes

I had some "one on one" time with my married son recently. We had a BLAST together. I went visiting his darling little family with their new addition, a beautiful little girl. She is adorable. As I was getting ready for the visit, I had the bright idea to take my electric pressure cooker. I bought it so that I could make my own soy milk, cook brown rice, and other grains, as well as make homemade hummus. I thought my son and I could have some fun cooking, and we did!

We made and delightfully ate the following:

Brown rice pancakes
First we cooked our brown rice in the pressure cooker, fast and easy!
1. Put 2 cups cooked brown rice in a blender
2. Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups unsweetened soy or almond milk over the rice
3. Add a pinch of salt
4. Add 1 tsp vanilla
5. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons aluminum free baking powder
6. Add enough sugar to taste, I use the C & H sugar stevia blend, or raw sugar. You can also add cinnamon, which is sweet and adds a nice spicy flavor.
7. Add 4 large whole eggs, or 6 egg whites
8. Blend until smooth. You may need to use less milk, or more. Blend to the consistency of pancake batter.

I cook  my pancakes on a lightly greased electric griddle set a 350 degrees. The pancakes will bubble and the color will change so that you know it's time to turn them. They are done when both sides are a golden brown color. Cooked brown rice pancakes are a little more moist in the middle than normal pancakes. They actually taste somewhat like rice pudding.

We topped ours with homemade grape jelly, or coconut oil and honey. Delicious!!

***

Home made Hummus
First we cooked our chick peas in the pressure cooker, only took 15 minutes from hard chick peas to garbanzo beans. I LOVE that!
1. 1/4 c Tahini (sesame seed butter)
2. 1/4 cup lemon juice
3. blend the above mixtures until smooth
4. 1/2 tsp salt
5. 1 tsp chopped garlic (we used the pre-minced bottled garlic)
6. 1/2 - 1 tsp ground cumin
7. 2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil
8. 2 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes
9. blend mixture until smooth
10. 2 cups of the cooked beans
11. 3 - 4 tablespoons water
12. Blend until smooth

We ate our hummus with brown rice crackers. Delicious!

***
Then my son made some zucchini stir-fry that was amazing! I don't know how he did it, but here he is chopping up the food. He is an amazing cook.


And here is his new little one. She is so lucky to have him for a daddy!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment